Monday, August 31, 2009

New Guns: Mosin Nagant M44 and Yugo M48 BO

I went gun shopping this weekend. On Friday night my wife and I talked, and she must have been in a good mood, cause she gave me the green light to go get a Springfield M1A1.

So I drove an hour up to Hoffman's Guns in Newington, where they had 5 or 6 of them.

But when I got there they only had M1A1s with fiberglass/composite stocks. And for some reason it just didn't feel right.

If they'd had the walnut stock it might have been different. Wood and steel are more emotionally compelling, somehow. (Although if this was a rifle I'd carry around all day, I'd see why lighter is better.)

I actually called Jay G of Stuck in Massachusetts, and Atom Smasher (my esteemed co-blogger) to ask for advice. Atom's advice: if you aren't feeling it, don't drop that kind of cash. Instead, come home with a trunk-load of milsurp rifles.

So I went away (much to the bitter disappointment of the young Marine who was very very eager to sell me all kinds of stuff) and ended up at CT Gun Exchange where the well-informed and patient JD sold me a nice M48 Yugoslav Mauser and a M44 Mosin Nagant Carbine (with folding bayonet). And I have enough left over for a Lee Enfield!

Pics to follow.

In other news, I dropped the application for my C&R into the mail recently. Thanks to Weerdbeard for the info on cruffler.com.

3 comments:

Atom Smasher said...

I'm very jealous. I have to get to an outdoor range soon.

Anonymous said...

I have all 3, you'll love them. The M44 is a blast (literally), but then you saw that at the bloggershoot. :)

Jay G said...

TERRIBLY sorry I didn't return your call.

I'm quite embarassed to say I deleted your message by accident and then promptly forgot.

I heartily endorse the path you chose, BTW.

Had I gotten in touch, my advice would have been to go with the mil-surps, as it's not like they're making more of them...

Post a Comment