Sunday, May 17, 2015

SciFi Sacrilege?

I just posted this on a movie thread on the Starship Modeler board:

He (paraphrased): 2001: A Space Odyssey put me to sleep twice and when I did watch it all the way through I didn't get it.

Me: "That's because it's not a good movie.

It's a spectacular visual cornucopia of snippets of input wrapped around a story it never tells you, but as a movie, it's crap."

There.  I said it.  Well, I typed it.  And because opinions are free I'll list a few more classic items my SciFi tastes tend to run counter to, although in these cases I don't think it's because they're bad books or movies...

  • Dune.  Hated it.  Overly long, dense, and boring.  Never bothered with the rest of the trilogy. At a friend's urging I read a little more Herbert, but found it unbearable.
  • Neuromancer.  Got interrupted with 2 pages to go, never bothered to finish it.  An utterly forgettable sampling of a subgenre that never appealed to me.
  • Blade Runner. Might as well call it Nap Runner. I've slept through parts of it both times I tried to watch it - theater and rental, and a movie where the sets are more interesting than the characters is not my thing.  Still, this one I should probably dial up again just to see if I can see what the fuss is all about.
O, to be such a heretic!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is probably worth noting that Blade Runner is only loosely inspired by the PKD novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" If you have not had the chance to read the book, do not let your disapointment in the film stop you from going to the source material.

Post a Comment