Thursday, February 19, 2009

Barack Obama: Gun Salesman Of The Year (Volume 2)

Did you know the federal government will sell you a rifle and mail it to your door?

Fill out an application and the CMP or Civilian Marksmanship Program will Fedex you an M-1 Garand, if you meet the requirements for legal gun ownership and belong to an affiliated shooting organization. They also sell the M1903 and M1917 bolt action rifles, a but no M-14s, alas.

The rest of the world seems to be buying AKs and AR-15s, but I like the older stuff. Oak and steel beat tenifer and polymers. I decided to order for a Sprinfield M1, filled out my paperwork and sent it in.

Like everyone else, the CMP has a website so I checked it after I sent in my order to see what the procedures were and what people were saying. What I found astonished me.

Normally the CMP gets about 2-3000 orders a month. Between Oct 15 and Dec 23 of last year, they got 14,000 orders, and hundreds more come in every day. By January 21, they were up to the November 18th orders.

Apparently people are worried that the government might take their guns away. I wonder where they got that idea.

And I sure hope there are some Garands left on the shelves when they get to my order.

0 comments:

Post a Comment