Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night Booze

My election night plans involve grilled steaks, some other food that my wife is responsible for, and good bourbon.

I go to the liquor store to stock up and had this conversation with the guy:

Guy: Can I help you find something?

Me: I'm looking for some bourbon.

Guy: What drinks are you making?

Me: Bourbon. Maybe with a little ice.

So I ended up with a bottle of Russell's Reserve, brought to you by the same folks who make Wild Turkey, and a bottle of Woodford Reserve. For the wife, Chimay White, Chimay Blue and some fancy looking French lager in a large bottle.

I figured an American beverage would make sense for watching the election results come in, and what's more American than bourbon?

Google reveals, however, that the Wild Turkey operation -- makers of Russell's Reserve -- is owned by Pernod Ricard, which is French. Woodford is owned by Brown Forman, which is an American operation.

Pays to look this stuff up before you buy.

The steaks, on the other hand, came from Stew Leonards in Danbury. Those will be seared at 750 degrees for a minute or so per side, then pulled off to rest for 10. They go back for a couple minutes on once I bring the temperature in the Egg down to about 400.

No matter who wins, I'll be well fed and full of excellent booze by 9pm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment